12.18.2008

Maryland

I'm having a wonderful time with my uncles. They live in a 3 story Victorian home in the tiniest town I've ever laid eyes on, where everyone knows of everyone and their business. They run the cutest floral shop downtown that maybe consists of ten total shops. It's a riot. Everyone is related. My uncles just moved from LA to Lake Mountain and they stick out like a very sore thumb. They're gay and speak their mind and are very entertaining. As for everyone else in this town, they're sleepy and very slow paced and highly Republican. It's hilarious. What's even more hilarious, is that my step dad is a good ole southern boy that has a saying for everything... " them there are faster than a mosquito to a blood hound..." lovely things like that. And I love him and my uncles. It's funny to sit between the two and see the complete opposite in my step dad and his older brother. Most of all, I love the love that is in the house. To all sit together and watch The Office and 30 Rock together and laugh and tell jokes is amazing. There's no judging, no one sticks their nose in the air, it's all family.
It is displays of love like this that I absolutely refuse to call myself a Democrat or a Republican or anything else for that matter. It has no real meaning to me. You are what you are. You believe and you put forth the effort to gain the meaning of the world in which you live. You live to better yourself and those around you. You care for you country and for the world. You care for your family and for others. It's just that simple. It's really a no brain er. To get so caught up in what you are, I feel as if you loose sight in what you believe. We get stuck in our bubbles of "my family believes this or the town I live in is mostly this..." It's wrong. Find yourself. A lot of my life I relied on others to tell me what to do or who to be. Hell with that. I'm me. God knows me, I look to good for everything I am and that's all that really matters. If people did that more instead of looking to the outside, we'd have more peace in this world and also more peace within ourselves.
So, it's funny what you can learn in just a few days of Christmas vacation. It's definitely not what I expected. But more importantly, I welcome it and encourage a great change within my heart and those around me from experiences just like this.

No comments: